Finding a Topic
Where to Look for Ideas:
- Your syllabus and course reading list
- Lecture and Reading Notes
- Professional Blogs and Websites
Browse Top English Journals:
- Essays in Criticism
- Contemporary Literature
- Critical Inquiry
- African American Review
- American Literary History
Scan Newspapers for Important Headlines:
Developing Your Topic
Search for Background Materials
- They can help you narrow your topic by identifying unique concepts, events, or individuals.
- It provides important background on larger social and historical contexts.
- Some sources can point you towards original Research.
Recommended Print Sources
More reference books in the 1st floor reference collection, Mulva Library!
A Companion to the Literature and Culture of the American South
Call Number: 810.9975 C73g
Publication Date: 2007
The Oxford Companion to American Literature 6th Ed.
Call Number: 810.2 H25o
Publication Date: 1995
Encyclopedia of Caribbean Literature
Call Number: 809.89729 En1f
Publication Date: 2006
Encyclopedia of contemporary LGBTQ literature of the United States
Call Number: 810.9 En1n
Publication Date: 2009