What is a Literature Review?
At the beginning of class, please click the following link and complete each question:
A literarture review is a critical analysis of the "scholarly" conversation surrounding an important issues or topic. A carefully written literature review will help refine your topic and develop your research methodolgy.
To write a successful literature review, you will need to:
- Identify the most current and important scholars writing about a your topic
- Extrapolate from the research major arguments, key debates, and changes in the approach of scholars
- Critically evalute each sources for it's contributions and validity
- Synthesize your findings into a coherent narrative (tell the story of the scholarship)
- Explain how your research question will contribute to conversation
For more help, see the following tutorials and guides:
Use Zotero to help you keep track of your sources, organize your research, and cite your sources. The following tutorials will help you get the most out of this powerful tool:
Ideas for Topics
If you are having difficuly choosing or narrowing your topic, browse the following sources: